1. What is Qwiddle?
Qwiddle is a free* online piggybank for children. It helps your child learn how to manage their own pocket money in a more secure, fun and hands-on way. It's powered by PayPal and owned and controlled by you, so your child can't spend any money without your permission.
and it's FREE*!
- The art of money management for children. Creating habits to collect, save and spend money wisely.
*for information on PayPal charges see point 9.
2. How does it work?
Qwiddle isn't a bank but an intelligent wrapper around a PayPal account whereby children can learn how to
- Work together with their parents to generate great conversations at home about money
- Set goals for things they really want
- Create tasks to help them achieve their goals and learn the valuable lesson that effort = reward
- Share these goals with the wider family and friends at special times eg birthdays and `christmas
- Demonstrate life skills like budgeting, planning, saving, savvy spending plus many more
- When the goal is achieved great offers and deals, especially for Qwiddle customers will be available in the 'spend my money' section.
- You create a PayPal account for your child. This is owned and controlled by you. Your child's money is stored in a PayPal account and can only be withdrawn with the password you set
- You give PayPal the permission to let your child view the account via Qwiddle
- You must keep the password safe and known only to you at all times
- You view your child/children's activity through a parent dashboard
- Your child/children have their own personalised dashboard
- You'll be the first to know of any changes made to the account by your child or us
- You are responsible for all spending associated with the account and liable for any amount owed. You will not make a purchase for your child of goods not legal for an under 18 year old and you must comply with the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy on all puchases.
3. How does my child join?
When you've registered, talk to your child about things they really want and help them set some goals. To help them achieve these goals and learn the value of money encourage them to help out around the home and add some tasks. Pay their pocket money, from the parents PayPal account straight into Qwiddle to get them started.
4. How does my child spend their money?
Your child can spend their money online
Spending their money online
Click 'spend my money' and see the list of retailers that are offering our Qwiddle families great offers and deals.
If the online shop does have the PayPal logo… your child can pay directly from their Qwiddle wallet. Remember, you'll need to enter the password set for your child's PayPal account at registration to complete the purchase.
If the online shop doesn't have the PayPal logo
… the child can request the parent to withdraw money on their behalf by clicking on the 'Withdraw Money' button. This sends an email request and link to the parent dashboard.
1. From the parent dashboard click the child account
2. Click withdraw and enter the parent paypal account to receive the money
3. You will be transfered to PayPal. The withdraw amount will be presented together with the child Qwiddle PayPal account details -please check these ( if you have more than one child your browser may carry forward another PayPal account so please check this)
4. Confirm payment
A transfer is then made from the childs Qwiddle PayPal account to the parents own PayPal account.
Please note as the parent or legal guardian you are responsible for all spending associated with the account and liable for any amount owed. You will not make a purchase for your child of goods not legal for an under 18 year old and you must comply with the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy on all purchases.
5. How can my child earn money and how do I send them a payment?
With PayPal accounts you can send and receive money between friends and family and there is no charge unless the payment is funded by a credit card, or involves a currency conversion. Your child's Qwiddle PayPal email is displayed in the parent dashboard.
6. I've forgotten my Qwiddle username – how do I log in?
For a parent or child username if you still have it you can check your welcome email from Qwiddle (we confirmed your username in it).
Alternatively for a child username: as a parent registered with Qwiddle, log in and see your child's username in your parent dashboard.
7. I've forgotten my Qwiddle password - how do I log in?
To reset your parent password either click the reset password on the log in screen and you'll get a email with your new password.
A reset your child's password : login with your parent details, click on the child that has forgotten the password and then click on "edit profile" button under the child's profile picture and reset the child's password simply by entering a new password into the password box.
If you are still having trouble please send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. What do I do if I've forgotten my child's Qwiddle PayPal password?
If you've forgotten your child's Qwiddle PayPal password you will need to create a new one.
1. Log into PayPal in the password field click forgot?
2. Enter the childs Qwiddle PayPal email.
3. Enter the security code shown in the blank box then click continue.
4. Confirm account ownership.
5. Create new password.
9. Are there any charges?
Qwiddle is free, it's free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a bank account, debit card or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved.
If you fund the payment using a credit card, send money in a different currency or make an international transfer, PayPal will charge you, the sender, a small fee. A currency conversion fee may also apply. Qwiddle does not receive any part of the charge.
To use a credit card to send money, a fee of 3.4% + 20p applies.
Currency conversion fees using a credit or debit card, a fee of 3.4% + 20p.
For full details click here.
10. How old does my child have to be to join Qwiddle?
Your child has to be 15 years old or under to join Qwiddle and their account must be registered by you, the parent.
As the parent or legal guardian you are responsible for all spending associated with the account and liable for any amount owed. You will not make a purchase for your child of goods not legal for an under 18 year old and you must comply with the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy on all purchases.
11. Do I need to set up a PayPal account to use Qwiddle?
Yes, to allow children to collect real money a PayPal account will need to be set up. This is where the child's money is stored.
Your child will view their balance and transactions through our fun, engaging website.
12. What does deleting your child from Qwiddle mean?
Deleting your child's Qwiddle account will remove all their information. Your child's username will not be available again for you or any other user.
13. What happens to my child's PayPal account?
Deleting your child from Qwiddle won't close their PayPal account, but if you want to close their PayPal account, here's how:
1. Log in to your child's PayPal account at https://paypal.com
2. Go to the gear icon at the top right of the screen.
3. Follow the Close Your Account link in the Account Options section
4. Hit the Close Account
If you're having trouble closing your child's PayPal account, email us at email@example.com
14. What happens if my child has money in their PayPal account?
If you're closing your child's Qwiddle PayPal account, and your child has a balance, you'll need to move the money out of their PayPal account and into yours before you can close it.
To do this :
1. From the parent dashboard click the child account
2. Click withdraw and enter the parent PayPal account to receive the money
3. You will be transferred to PayPal. The withdraw amount will be presented together with the child Qwiddle PayPal account details -please check these ( if you have more than one child your browser may carry forward another PayPal account so please check this)
4. Confirm payment